Parking troubles frustrate students

As I slam the door on my ‘98 Mazda Tribute, turn on the lights and shift into drive, a sinking feeling rises from my cereal-filled stomach.

Heart racing, I slowly lower my gaze.  My eyes burn as I read the grainy black digits on the dashboard clock: it’s 6:43 and I’m going to be late yet again. Speeding down the windy neighborhood streets, I quickly pick up two fellow seniors and the daily fight to make it to school on time is on. Breathing deeply, I try to remain calm and avoid thinking about the terrible scene that surely lies ahead. Then I see it: the light from hell. Nestled on a side street off Little River, you would think that Heritage would be less terrifying then its pot-hole ridden feeder. You would be wrong.

This seemingly unimposing road serves as the site of a battleground upon which many AHS students fight every weekday morning. As drivers approach the shopping center, the immense line is a sure-fire sign that tardiness is imminent.

The reason for the delay at this busy juncture is the fact that hundreds of walkers also cross at the intersection of Four Year Run and Heritage. A single crossing guard is responsible for directing traffic and ensuring that every student makes it across the busy road safely. Though this is an important and necessary task, many find the method of entry ineffective. The fact that both walkers and drivers are battling to get through a narrow expanse leads to aggression felt by both sides.

“It’s really difficult to navigate around the traffic coming into the parking lots. I have to be on my guard,” said senior Claudia Arrevalo, who walks to school.

Aside from the difficulties faced by drivers every morning, many were dissatisfied with the response of the county to the parking after the blizzard. As students returned to school after two storms dumped over a foot of snow on northern Virginia, many were surprised to find that though school was in session, their method of transportation would not suffice. Senior MC Larme, who parallel parks on Four Year Run was one of the many drivers who had to make alternate plans thanks to an unplowed parking space. “I’m glad I paid $250 to take the bus because there was [expletive] snow in my spot,” said Larme.

Another flaw in the current parking system is spot thieves. Many parkers have found that if they arrive to school late, their spaces have been filled by miscellaneous vehicles.
“On days that I have to come to school late my spot is quite frequently occupied. Unless I get lucky and taking someone else’s spot its rather inconvenient,” said senior Emma Whitmyre.

Although the current procedures call for students whose spots have been taken to park in the back and alert security, many are unwilling to put in the effort simply resign themselves to taking a gamble and parking in the spot of another student who is currently off school grounds.
Clearly, the current system in place to handle student parking is not working for the students or teachers who drive and walk to school each morning. The back-ups created lead to stress for everyone involved and create safety hazards for walkers and drivers alike. Whether the solution is creating a traffic light at the intersection of Four Year Run, creating parking in an alternate location or redirecting walkers to a safer and more convenient crossing point, some sort of action must be taken to fix the problem.