The oil spill blame game

The unprecedented Deepwater Horizon explosion in the Gulf of Mexico has escalated into a full blown oil spill which is now said to be the equivalent of an Exxon Valdez oil spill every four days.

The worst oil spill disaster before this year’s explosion was the Exxon Valdez, which happened in Prince William Sound, Alaska on March 24, 1989.

To this day, there are lasting environmental effects in Prince William Sound.

The Louisianna oil spill that occurred over a month ago is still unfixed and gushing. And according to officials, the oil spill has set records for the worst spill in U.S. history.

British Petroleum (BP), the main company in charge of the Deepwater Horizon rig, announced the amount of oil spilling out into the Gulf of Mexico to be five thousand barrels a day.

However, after careful calculations by scientists after witnessing a video of the spill underwater, the estimated amount of barrels escaping was concluded to be ten times more than what BP had originally surmised.

The issue at hand is not only environmental, but political as well, given that Obama is an avid supporter of offshore drilling.

However, the matter extends to the hearings that took place in the Senate in order to question the three major companies behind the oil spill.

Halliburton, British Petroleum and Transocean agreed to Senate hearings in order to clear up the confusion over the oil spill; however, the hearings went on with all three companies decided to play the blame game rather than accept the blame equally.

BP had first put the blame on Transocean, who was the manufacturer of the failed 450 ton blowout protector which is used for between sections of well tubing.

However Transocean, trying to dodge the blame, put the responsibility upon BP saying that it was their responsibility because they were in fact the operator.

Transocean executives also went on to blaming another company, Halliburton, who was the subcontractor in charge of coating the well pipe in cement.

Despite the three individual issues, what bothers me the most was the fact that BP initially did not have a formal plan in the event a disaster like this ever occurred.

When the news first broke out, The BP downplayed the disaster, masking the truth from the public.

They blatantly refused to give us the whole truth, in spite of the increasing damage to our environment.

The immaturity that surrounds the matter is what set off President Obama, who said, “I have to say though, I did not appreciate what I considered to be a ridiculous spectacle during the congressional hearing into this matter.”

The entirety of the situation is unsettling; an oil spill to such a large degree is guaranteed to affect the Louisiana coast for a long time just like Prince William Sound.

Nonetheless, the inability for each of the companies to assume a role in the blame for the oil spill is immature.

We could spend most of our time attempting to pin responsibility upon any of the companies, but what needs to be done is the urgent cleanup and prevention of the oil proceeding to spread onto land.

The blame game could go on forever and it would make no difference if action is not taken and the responsibility is not shared among the three accused companies.