“Get out of this Country”?

Walking down the streets of Chinatown on a sunny day, I felt the warm breeze make its way through the crowds of people.
The sidewalks, filled with tourists, University Students and Book Festival Attendee’s were very busy.
The savory aroma of food coming from the restuarants filled the air as I walked by.
I was on my way to a park near Pennsylvania Avenue to carry out my anthropology assignment.
While crossing the street a shadow appeared right over me and I saw a pair of boots stand in front of me, I slowly looked up to see a Caucasian man in his mid-thirties towering over my 5’1 form.
In the span of a couple of seconds he said, “ Get the (expletive) ouf of the country,” and quickly walked away glaring at me.
I stopped in the middle of the street with my mouth open in shock.
The first few thoughts that went through my mind were, “What? Why?” and then I laughed.
I didn’t provoke anyone nor did I say anything to instigate a verbal attack.
The only reason why he would say something like that to me would be because I wear the Hijab, an obvious symbol that I am a Muslim.
Although this is not nearly as extreme as other instances of racism in America, at this young of an age I can attest that this is not something that anyone would want to go through.

I was unprepared when hostility towards Muslims broke out, hate crimes increased and anti-Islamic rhetoric barraged every news channel this year.
Despite these events, I ignored those who told me that this was a dangerous time for the Muslim generation.
It never crossed my mind that I would be confronted because of what my religious beliefs are.
It’s hard to understand what it feels like to be targeted or to have someone physically tell you that you don’t belong in this country.
This country was built on the five major freedoms that allow us to live the way we prefer.
I have every right to be in this country, as does every other Muslim in this country.
The principles we abide by pertain to everyone that lives in the United States, and if certain individuals can’t look past that then we will always be in the midst of a constant battle of entitlement.

The blatant ignorance that people express about Islam, in addition to many other things, is absolutely preposterous.
The media is misleading Americans about issues that they will never fully comprehend unless they do background research.
The portrayal of Muslims as terrorists is completely wrong, but the small group of Americans who listen to nothing but the news are being fed lies and manipulated information
There are so-called “experts” debating about whether Islam is a threat to America.
It only takes a few minutes of research to find out that many of these “experts” simply spew out hatred about Islam and Muslims.
People are beginning to take what they hear from the media and use the surface-level information to carry out hour-long discussions, while the truth is that they have no idea what they’re saying.
All this drivel is allowing hatred to stay alive in our communities.

I can never understand justifications for racism.
The implication of the man’s words led me to believe that I am no longer an American but an enemy.
Saying that Muslims are not responsible for a extremist minority in our religion falls on deaf ears.
If words aren’t working, and neither are actions, what else is there left to do? Should I teach myself to accept displays of racism?
There’s a stigma attached to the word “Muslim,” and as long as it remains, I can’t help but feel let down by my country.
Not only that, but when I do go back to Chinatown my pride will be intact and my Hijab will symbolize more than just a religious garment but of a symbol of freedom.