FCPS times remain unaffected by Veterans Day

Today is Veterans Day, a day of recognition for past and ongoing sacrifices made by the military veterans of the Untied States of America.

More than 23 million veterans survive today to tell of their courageous tales of military service.  Without the sacrifices and accomplishments of these brave veterans, it is doubtful that America would be the same as it is today. It is clear that the freedoms we enjoy today are accredited to the men who risk their lives every day to protect them.

Veterans Day was created to honor and commemorate Armistice Day, which marked the end of World War I. President Woodrow Wilson instated this day to “Be filled with solemn pride in the heroism of those who died in the country’s service.”

Many schools throughout the country have delayed openings and even no school in order to let students celebrate esteemed veterans and to spend times with family members that may have served time with the military.

Yet, in Fairfax County, school occurs normally like its any other day.

Fairfax Country has a little over 760,000 veterans residing within its boundaries. According to the 2009 American Community Survey of Fairfax County, 10-11% of the country’s populations are veterans. Some of which are teachers at AHS.

Yet, if veterans are such a large demographic of the county, why does Fairfax County still have school? Does Fairfax County think we’ll spend this cherished day slacking off, shopping, or engaging in some over unproductive activity?

Fairfax County should allow its students to celebrate and recognize the distinguished veterans of the military. These men have sacrificed so much so that we do not have to, and yet their one special day of remembrance and gratitude is one day students cannot afford to celebrate due to the strains and challenges of school.

It is the least that we as American Citizens can do. It really isn’t a choice, it’s a duty.