Rally signs did more than just protest

Hundreds of thousands of people were scattered all over the National Mall, packed into small compact areas with no room to breathe. People stood rapt with attention, holding their carefully crafted signs; some had even climbed trees or on top of cars to view the stage.

This did not worry anyone, for the full extent of their concentration was aimed at the stage far off in the distance where Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert stood.

The Rally to Restore Sanity, the most anticipated rally since Glenn Beck’s, had over 200,000 people present. All roamed through central D.C., completely crowding Chinatown and taking over the streets as cars trying to get through honked. Although the rally itself was all comedy, the signs made by regular people are what left a lasting impressions on those who had attended the rally.

The plethora of signs mocked the essence of protesting and the current events that have been plaguing the news stations for the past year. Although the signs were meant for humor, they also took on a serious undertone with the messages they were trying to portray.

Those who had attended the rally, whether they came for fun or to catch a glimpse of the notorious comedians all had the same sentiment; they were tired of the current state of politics and news.

The majority represented a large group of Americans who refused to be swayed by the news and were trying to keep a sane mind despite the chaos around them. This was displayed with the signs seen at the rally.

The signs alone were the highlight of the whole day. Not only were many of the signs witty, but they were also rampant with hidden messages that alluded to the growing discontent felt by the rally’s attendees.

There were numerous signs aiming jabs at the infamous Fox News, mostly attempting to poke fun at what many believe to be overly-conservative and misleading reports. Others chose to make signs to mock signs usually made for protests.

The signs carried various message, such as “My Texts are Grammatically Correct,” and “Who needs education when you have Fox News?” While on any other day these signs would be offensive or fodder for debate, the rally served as the ideal place to display such signs to express whatever the people wanted.

The signs were indications of sanity among the greatly underrepresented moderate crowd in the United States. This rally was meant for those who had had enough and felt that only through rationality and compromise could the changes our nation so desperately needs be reached.