Feeling awkward in the hallways? Here’s what to do:

As two young gentlemen, we are quite familiar with the term “awkward.” For years we have fought through situations that may have defeated lesser men. We are here to protect you from any awkward situations you may encounter in the future.

Situation Numero Uno: The dreaded isolated hallway encounter. On the way through the hall for a refreshing splash of water, a series of unfortunate events confront you. First, the fountain is at the end of the hall. Second, so is your freshmen year English teacher closing in fast! As the distance diminishes, the awkwardness increases. The decision to wave, head nod, or stop for a casual conversation dashes through your head. Too late. You are now side by side with only awkward eye contact.

Solution: A casual “How do you do?” should suffice. Begin the conversation approximately 15 paces before intersecting, giving plenty of time for further small talk.

Situation #2: Who to wave to. Friends come and go in high school. From sports teams to freshman history class, you have made many acquaintances. There in lies the problem. You have talked before but not in a long time or maybe you hung out over the weekend with a not so familiar friend. Do I wave, smile, or simply ignore these people as we pass through the hall?

Solution: Small acknowledgements can work wonders. Do not be afraid to exchange a friendly gesture. Do not by any means attempt to neglect the fact you saw them because, lets be honest, we all know you saw them.

Situation #3: The Miscommunication: In a daze, you amble through the corridors of Annandale on the way to your next class, when all of the sudden a generic “hello” and a wave are sent in your direction from a cluster of students. Your eyes light with excitement and you respond with enthusiasm before realizing that you were not the intended recipient. Everybody has seen your hand motion upwards and if you do not do something fast then embarrassment is imminent.

Solution: Play it off ASAP! Maybe a swarm of flies was attacking and you needed to defend yourself. Maybe you were checking the time. Do anything to avoid the awkwardness of the absent wave.

Situation #4: Goodbye: Another cornerstone to awkward interactions is the goodbyes. As conversation trails off to an anti-climatic end, someone needs to take control and end the talk before things get hairy. After exchanging final remarks and possibly a hug, you move to go your separate ways. But when you realize you are both leaving in the same direction, the awkward levels spike.

Solution: If you find yourself in this treacherous predicament, do not panic. Immediately look for an alternative route or a friend to talk with. If all else fails, run like the dickens to escape the inevitable awkwardness that would surely follow.

We hope that these how-to tips will help you to avoid future uncomfortable situations. And remember, it is only awkward if you make it awkward.