Stop! No more homework!

Stop! No more homework!

Written by Leah Young, Staff Writer

The battle against increasing homework loads is currently being fought within the meetings of the FCPS school board. School board officials are deciding whether or not to change how homework affects children outside of school. Parents are feeling that homework has become excessive and feel that their lives have been personally targeted by the school system.

So, how much work is too much? A possible resolution would be to work off the idea that a student’s amount of homework depends on their grade level. A student would receive 10 minutes of homework for every grade level that they are in. A fourth grader would have forty minutes, a fifth grader would have fifty, and so on.

Parents in Los Angeles have taken the issue so far that the school board is only counting homework as ten percent of a student’s total grade. In doing this, parents think that they have achieved less homework for their child. In reality, this is only hurting the children more. Teachers have relayed that they will continue to assign the same amount of homework; it will just be weighted as less. Students will be doing more work for less credit. This system would end up putting more stress on them to do well on tests, creating another problem in itself.

The demand for seldom amounts of homework given is absurd. The U.S. is a well recognized country for leading business foundations and continuously striving for success; we would not have all of these accomplishments by not allowing our students to attain a good work ethic. Other nations’ curriculum holds their students to higher standards. If the foundation of America’s education is compromised, we will lose our position as a powerful nation.

As in every confrontation, you can expect two sides, each with their own ideas and opinions. For as many parents fighting to minimize or abolish homework, there are just as many in the struggle to support homework.

“My mom definitely gets annoyed when I can’t go to a family event because of school work,” sophomore Kayla Elahi said. “I’ve missed out on family barbecues, and find myself having to choose between friends and sports because I no longer have time for both.” Kayla isn’t the only student that feels her school commitments are trumping her personal commitments.

According to child education writer Robin McClure, 43 percent of parents in the United States admitted to helping their children with homework or doing their homework for them. 38 percent of parents assisted in math and 28 percent came to the rescue in English.

Numerous students complain about not having enough time for their own interests. Like anybody, we enjoy the opportunity to kick back and relax. At the same time, sports, family activities, and social time are some of the most important things that run through a young teenager’s mind. Kids feel that they only have a few years left of freedom. More important activities will soon fill schedules such as a job. Should somebody step in and make a change to salvage freedom that is so desperately craved?

“By the end of the week when I actually have time for fun I can’t because I need to catch up on sleep,” sophomore Sean Flynn said.

When students learn something in school, they could risk forgetting what they’ve learned if there isn’t reinforcement. Teachers protest that there isn’t enough time to re-teach topics that aren’t understood. Homework not only helps strengthen skills that aren’t mastered, it also prepared our young generation for college and later on, the real world.

The competition between both sides persists, fueled by worthy arguments. The valid reasons that are portrayed by each side is holding back a final conclusion. This conflict will continue until a side hinders their minds. Unless a compromise is reached, the only people being affected will be the students.