America is becoming moderate

America is becoming moderate

Unfortunately, since 2009, at the nascence of the Tea Party Movement, it seemed that America had taken an indefinite proverbial swing to the right. Citizens and politicians with the more “extreme” views of 2008 were becoming the mainstream champions of the “American way” in 2009.

However, it seems that this is changing. As reflected by early November’s election results, the country has supported a movement returning to the middle of the political spectrum. Kudos, America.

Meanwhile, here in Virginia, politics seemed to take a turn for the worse on Election Day. (Our state senate is now controlled by social and fiscal conservatives.) However, overall, Americans have come to understand the sheer magnitude of the ridiculousness of the rhetoric of the extreme right candidates for American office who call themselves members of the Tea Party. These candidates that seemed, for a fleeting second, to be on a path towards mainstream acceptance are finally being cast as what they really are — extreme.

As Timothy Egan, columnist for the New York Times, wrote on Nov. 10, this past election has shown that Americans’ opinions are easily changed. This is sometimes for the better, and sometimes for the worse. This time it seems that it was for the better.

In Arizona, Russell Pearce, the man who brought to the Arizona state senate the bill allowing for police officers to capriciously demand the papers of any suspected illegal immigrant, was voted out of office.

In Mississippi, the citizens of a traditionally conservative state voted against an amendment that would classify fertilized eggs, in terms of legality, as “people.” This, clearly, would have banned abortion outright, in addition to banning forms of contraception such as the “day after” pill.

In Ohio, citizens banded together against Tea Party governor John Kasich to protect the rights of public employee unions.

What does this all say about America? It has had enough of the extremist agendas of Tea Party politicians, whose plans have proven futile in the way of yielding to Americans the promise of “returning America to her glory.”

They have had their time to shine, but instead have taken two years to show America that their limited knowledge of the Constitution they claim to “protect” will not satisfy the demands of the American people.

Again, I congratulate America on a return to common sense, whether it be in the form of support for moderate Republicans or Democrats. Either way, we are moderately better off.