For our sake, please work

Congressmen, please, enough rhetoric already. 60 Minutes has already shown us that you have made millions of dollars off internal stock trading and speculation, and have passed laws to clandestinely make it legal.

We might be young, but we are not blind. In fact, many of us will be voting this coming fall.

We have also seen the unfortunate result of passing legislation too slowly. Citizens of Northern Virginia have been furloughed and laid off while the idea of compromise has become foreign in the halls of the Capitol Building.

It is increasingly harder for us to find jobs during the summer, or after-school, as those that are filled by Americans who must live off such low salaries.

More importantly, it is harder for us to pay our way through college. For some members of our generation, it seems that the words of financial magazine Accountancy Live’s Pat Sweet, are coming true: unlike generations past, our generation might be poorer (after inflation) than the preceding generation. But we still have time.

Clearly, there is no panacea to all of these woes (or if there is, not one that can be brought about in a day, month, or year), but we have grown up in a decade of fruitless rhetoric while watching our parents desperately search for jobs.

And we are ready to give you an earful about it.

Some people are even listening to us. The idea of a powerful third party in the 2012 elections (be it for president, or for Congressional districts) is becoming increasingly real. Our generation has seen a back and forth bicker between two parties that cannot seem to work together.

In fact, some of these parties have raised millions of dollars before nominating a candidate.

Americans Elect, just one of these groups, has received support and signatures from nearly 2.8 million Americans.

Statistics also support the notion that Americans are tired of the political culture they have seen.

According to the Reason Foundation, Americans would seriously consider voting for a third-party presidential candidate in the 2012 presidential elections

What does all of this mean? Change up, or be changed.

The Occupy Movement has demonstrated that the educated youth of this nation are ready for a cultural change.

Social networking sites, which our generation has developed, allow for an even more candid conversation about politics than has ever before been seen.

So, Congress, speed it up. We want to see legislation that will reduce wasteful spending and curb our carbon footprint.

If it sounds like political rhetoric, then do not be surprised to find someone who will be parroting it and robbing you out of your district seat.

Of course, culture change does not happen within a single election, as history has shown us. But, it can start somewhere.

Simply put, conduct yourselves honestly, before we head to the polls with a grudge against the status quo.