Bring oil back to the U.S.A.

Oil is the most desired natural resource in America. Not everyone has a diamond ring and not everyone wants gold jewelry, but everyone needs oil because it is a necessary part of our lives.

But if oil is such an important aspect of our lives, then why are we not using the oil that is in our own country?

Right now in America, the average price for regular gasoline is $3.80 a gallon. The price of gasoline had not reached $2 until 2004, but in 2008, it drastically jumped to $4.11.

Many factors have led to this escalation of gas prices. Oil purchases are dominated by America. When the inflation of the dollar occurred, gas prices rose and sadly this event cannot be reversed.

The majority of the oil America uses, including gasoline, comes from the Middle East as opposed to only around 35 percent produced in our country.

This severe reliance on foreign countries is unacceptable. If we went to war with one of the countries that supplies us our oil, such as Saudi Arabia, our economy would be crippled, as Middle Eastern gasoline companies would no longer support our demand for oil.

Gas prices would go through the roof, making it more difficult to travel; which in turn would negatively affect cities that rely on tourism. This high price for gasoline would also negatively affect the agricultural industry because farmers would have to spend even more money to power their machinery. If the demand for oil and gasoline cannot be met, the country might have to ration our gas distribution just like we did back in the 1970’s, because the government would have no choice but to control the amount it spends on gasoline. Much of the available gasoline would also have to be put aside in order to keep military vehicles going.

Although the idea of rationing gas seems far-fetched, the government is missing out on a valuable opportunity to make a profit within our borders, with its lack of oil drills and wells located in America. America has many oil-rich areas, such as Alaska, that are not being used at all, and according to the Energy Department, there could possibly be over 16 billion barrels of oil available there alone.

The United States uses about 21 million barrels of oil a day. At this rate, Alaska alone could supply America with oil for around 20 years. This would mean 20 less years of relying on Saudi Arabia. Although some would say that 20 years of oil isn’t that long, every drop counts.

Not only is there an ample amount of undrilled oil in America, there is also shale oil. Shale is a type of organic substance that can be melted down into oil. Although there are concerns that shale oil can damage the environment, new techniques are being discovered that allow more amounts of oil to be saved, keeping  the environment as clean as possible.

We do not control Mother Nature; it controls us. The protection and cleanliness of the environment is important. Yet, the government should still utilize the natural resources it has to offer. If oil drills in foreign countries are localized within U.S. borders, our country will no longer be in fear of a possible loss of such an important resource in our economy, and America will now prosper on its own; without the dependency on other nations.

God Bless America.