Jason Collins comes out

Kwaku Alston for Sports Illustra

Jason Collins; black, 34 years old and gay. The Washington Post has named him the new Jackie Robinson of 2013 because of his drive and change that he brought upon the NBA. Instead of integration Collins is creating a new era of acceptance in major league sports.

Collins has played on six pro teams and two NBA Finals while also had a two part interview with ABC.

Collins is the first man in all four major league sports to publicly claim himself as ‘gay’. On Tuesday, Apr 30th he announced his sexuality on the Today show.

“Its a big step for the gay community. I hope its like a domino effect or something so other players will come out if they want to,” senior Filiberto Sanchez said.

He has received much support from his teammates, other teammates, sports castors, fanatic sports fan and the average american.

“Its inspiring because from now on the other gay athletes will feel ok even if there teammates think they’re looking at their butts,” junior Kristin De Angelis said.

“The recent Boston Marathon bombing reinforced the notion that I shouldn’t wait for the circumstances of my coming out to be perfect. Things can change in an instant, so why not live truthfully?,” Collins said in an article to SI magazine.

Former Green Bay Packers safety LeRoy Butler sent a simple tweet to congratulate Collins. Butler was scheduled to speak at a WI church but received an email that unless he apologized to God and delete the tweet then they would re-admit his event. He declined. Michelle Obama also tweeted Jason Collins, “So proud of you, Jason Collins! This is a huge step forward for our country. We’ve got your back!” signing it off with “-mo.” Stating that it really was Michelle Obama, not her secretary.

Jason Collins has marked history and has made a great step forward for U.S not only in Sports, but overall, but why is he that important for being front cover? I am not hating on him in any way, because honestly what he has done is amazing, but what about the others?

I was just wondering why if someone has come out of the closet, everyone is praising them and is amazed by it, but if someone like Tim Tebow, the former Jets Quarterback does his ‘tebowing’, he is questioned and everyone brings up his faith? Yes, those two are totally different and yes those two have different views, but why is it that society has to praise one person over the other? Shouldn’t we be happy for both of them. Tim Tebow shouldn’t be looked at what faith he follows, but his courage and ambitions to stand up to what he believes in.

And also another thing to remember is that Collins wasn’t the first one to openly come out, Major-league baseball player Glenn Burke was comfortably out to his teammates and friends in 1976. But since media wasn’t used to this, it didn’t make headlines.

Is this the time we live in?