Pro/Con: The rolling gradebook

Con: it’s not helpful to all and should be changed

This school year, like last year, FCPS is using a rolling gradebook. Well into the third quarter, it is becoming clear that there are more faults than benefits to this grading system specifically designed to help students.

The rolling gradebook works cumulatively, with the final grade being a built up combination of all assignments given throughout the whole year, not an average of quarter marks like usual. In a rolling gradebook, grades shown at the end of a quarter act as a snapshot; grades do not start fresh each quarter. Last year AHS used the rolling gradebook to help with the difficulty of online learning. This year it is used to help with the difficulty of returning back in-person.

Given the nature of the rolling gradebook and how late we are in the school year, the flaws are finally showing themselves.

Students with a D or F may feel like they can’t catch up, whether it’s true or not. With a record dating back to the start of school weighing you down, it can feel like an uphill battle, like it is too late. It can also be overwhelming to see all your many missing assignments since they would go back to the start of the year. Where would you even begin?

Additionally, under the rolling gradebook, any new work you do is diluted. With so many assignments in the gradebook, the impact of bigger grades is smaller, in some cases negligible- you could have a solid B and receive an A on an assignment with no effect. It is difficult to penetrate the built up wall of grades.

And even later in this year, students satisfied with their grade could be inclined to sit back and do the bare minimum. If they already have a concrete, strongly built up A, what’s to stop them from not completing something that will only reinforce their grade and not bring it up? Sure, they could get an F, but that would only have a small impact on their overall grade given the many other assignments.

In the end, despite its good intentions, the rolling gradebook is not the best for everyone.