School lunches free, but at what cost?

This year school lunches are free for all FCPS students. Now more than halfway through the year, it seems this was not the best decision.

More students now eat school lunches. With an increase in demand of school lunches, there is now more pressure on FCPS, who have to buy and prepare more food. There is more work and higher costs in return for less money. Who’s even paying for it now, if not students?

(I would like to clarify that I am in no way blaming those underappreciated heroes of the school, cafeteria workers. They are doing everything they can.)

There has also been a decrease in the quality and quantity of food. When I look at my lunch tray (if there are even trays- sometimes they run out) it is usually meager. I remember there used to be so much variety: cookies, pretzels, ice cream, salads, and most excitingly, sides! You could take two servings of fries. Now, we are lucky when fries are even available, or, if you have a later lunch, they haven’t run out.

Students are also now more inclined to waste food- they’re not paying for it, why should they care?

A bigger problem has arisen. In past years, students had to apply for free lunch. If qualified, other fees besides lunch were reduced; fees for sports, clubs, instrument rentals, etc. This was all under the umbrella of free lunch, and is still around this year. But with lunch now being free for all students, less people applied and so can’t receive the additional benefits. And with fewer applications the Title I status of schools around the county is being jeopardized, meaning receiving less funding.

Free school lunches for everyone sounds like a good idea, however the negatives outweigh the positives.