Jackson’s nomination is historic, imperative

Ketanji Brown Jackson would be the first Black woman to serve on the Supreme Court

In recent weeks, it has become increasingly clear that history is about to be made. The confirmation hearings for U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice nominee Ketanji Brown Jackson have begun. She is the first Black woman to be nominated in the 233 years it has existed, and if she is confirmed, she will be the first Black woman to be a member.

This historic choice is essential for creating a Supreme Court more representative of the citizens it has so much influence over.

Jackson was nominated by President Biden on February 25, coming after Justice Stephen Breyer’s announcement of upcoming retirement. She is to fill the vacancy created by his departure, and take a place as one of the nine justices. Though the judges are impartial, she is expected to sway with the liberal perspective of any cases that make their way up to the highest court. However, that would not make a difference to the 6-3 conservative majority on the court. That said, she would still be a perfect addition.

Jackson has a stellar and impeccable background, and is an amazing candidate. Like many of the other Justices, she attended Harvard Law School, was a Supreme Court Clerk (in her case, for Breyer), and was a federal judge for a Court of Appeals.

However, unlike most of the other Justices, she was also a district court judge. More notably, she was also a federal public defender, meaning she was a criminal defense attorney for poor defendants. Jackson is the first since Justice Thurgood Marshall with this sort of experience.

This is very important and great news because it means she will know the ins and outs of the often ignored perspectives, and also understand the unfairness and obstacles in the criminal justice system.

Jackson will also be the only Justice on the court who has worked with the U.S. Sentencing Commission, which works to articulate the sentencing policy.

So overall, Jackson will bring many much needed new perspectives and fresh insight to the court. But out of all these great things, the best thing above all about Ketanji Brown Jackson is that if confirmed, she will be the first Black woman on the Supreme Court.

In previous years, we have seen a common pattern of white old men having power, and not just within the Supreme Court but within the whole government.

Of course there have been notable exceptions like Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Clarence Thomas, and Sonia Sotomayor but there just hasn’t been enough.

With the addition of Jackson, the Supreme Court will finally gain some more diversity which in turn will result in diverse solutions that will help the public more. There will be a new much needed perspective. With the perspective of just white people, this will lead to the majority of America not being represented and heard.

Jackson being nominated to be a member of the Supreme Court makes us one step closer to obtaining the diversity we need within our government. We need people of color to hold power in systems like the Supreme Court. Without this, America will never conquer the injustices placed in our society.