Pro/Con: Final exams only able to raise grades

Con: this policy is harmful, not helpful, long term

The policy from last year that said a grade earned on a final exam can only raise a student’s final grade, not lower it, has returned this year.

Last year this decision was made to help students who were struggling with online learning. This year, the decision is more questionable. Perhaps it is to help students struggling with the return to in-person, or perhaps it is to compensate for the learning loss last year. Still, at this point in the year, everyone has long adjusted, and the material on the exams was taught this year. Even if material taught last year served as a foundation for material taught this year, certainly a teacher would have reviewed it in the first couple weeks.

It’s understandable that this school year is a transition period, from online learning to “normal,” and that the more difficult aspects of a normal school year, such as finals, are being added gradually. It’s said that we want to go back to normal, and yet we still seem to be stuck in a rut. At some point, the band aid is going to have to be ripped off, and wouldn’t you want that sooner rather than later?

This final exam policy is harmful too, because it teaches unrealistic assumptions, even if it seems like just another decision designed to help students. Because when you grow up and experience life outside of school, there will be no opportunities like this. You will have to deal with adversity yourself, not rely on higher-ups to change the rules to help you. Since school is ultimately preparation for life as an adult, now is the time to instill this.

Then there is the concern that students content with their grade will not try on the exams. A student could turn in a blank test with no effect on their grade. Teachers still have to create the exams, grade them, and go through every usual step, in the end for students to view it as pointless.

To be clear, I am not complaining. I love not having to stress about exams and I will appreciate the policy while we have it. But the policy is not as good as it seems.