Annandale American Stories: Erfan Behnam

I could not believe how hard it was to leave my country. I had to leave my country in a night and leave all my memories and people. Saying goodbye to people who I knew for a real long time, traveling from Iran to the U.S. and having a long travel.

Saying goodbye to my family and friends was really hard for me to do. We went to visit our family friends before we moved, so we had a long goodbye with each one of them. We had a party on the last night so everyone came to visit us. And I would not say goodbye to my friends at all because it was really hard for me to do that.

We don’t have U.S. embassy in Iran so we had to go to Austria first, and we stayed there for a whole month. We went to the U.S. embassy there and they posted our visa for our friends three days later. However, it took us a while to get tickets to the U.S. from Austria. Getting a visa did not take us too long, but it took us a long time to get tickets.

It was a really long way travelling from Austria to the U.S. first we had to go to London, and after staying four hours in London airport we changed our plane. So we changed our plane in London and it took us 14 hours to get to Washington, so it was a really long and boring travel.

Moving to a new country has a lot of complications, leaving the old home and saying goodbye to family and friends is not easy, neither was having a long and boring travel. But I am getting used to here, and it is getting easier for me to live here.