Annandale American Stories: Vania Jeizan

Do you know what the differences between Iran and the U.S. are? Sometimes it is really difficult to imagine them in our mind. The three major differences between the U.S. and Iran are the language and alphabet, weather, and church.

First of all, language and alphabet are different. Our language is Farsi, so people speak Farsi. In Farsi the writing starts from right to left. There are some words that are not in English. Also many English speakers or other language speakers can not pronounce the words. It is very hard to learn a different language, especially when the writing and alphabet are different.

Secondly weather is different. In the north Iran, the weather is colder than in the south. Iran has four seasons. Because there are four seasons you can find different kinds of food in each. The good food and weather helps keep people healthy and they have healthy lives.

Lastly I would like to talk about what the church looks like in an Islamic country. Here, we see many churches; however it is completely different in Iran. The government does not let Christian people have a place to pray, so we used the house of the pastor. The great thing is even though it is painful and difficult to go to church; about half of people in Iran are still Christian. They go to church and pray. However if the government finds out, they will kill them.

Those are the only three differences between Iran and America. I miss the weather and speaking and writing in my language. However I like to try different things in my life to get experience from things and learn. Also I miss the people in the church and the pastor, but not the terrible government. I am glad to be here to have freedom in my life and to be able to go to church freely.