American Annandale Stories: Mi Hyun Lee

Have you gone to Korea before? Korea is a small country in Asia but it is a good place to live. We enjoyed our life in Korea. In Korea, there are many kinds of activities for fun, for learning, or for other enjoyment. When I lived in Korea I did many activities, but I can’t do as many activities (in the U.S.). My activities changed when I came to the United States.

Firstly, I think the language (barrier) controls my activities. The vocabulary, grammar, reading, writing, and hearing (are all different). I need to communicate with other people. It is not easy like when I lived in Korea or (when I) used Korean because between Korean grammar and American, (the languages) have a different order and we do not use English in Korea. Of course I can do activities in the United States if they are physical. When I lived in Korea I did the Korea Youth Association, it’s like the National Honor Society club. When I did that, I didn’t feel fear about my activity, because I could truly enjoy it. I could do community (service) with my friends and with teachers or some others through my language.

Secondly, transportation is something that limits my activities. I cannot go somewhere easily. If you go to Korea you can learn about the transportation (systems), the bus, the subway or the taxi. We can use (public) transportation easily and it’s cheap. So I can go somewhere freely and I can do more activities. It is so hard (for people who) come to the United States because they can’t use (public) transportation because the stations are so far away. We need a car to go somewhere. That is why the transportation is the second reason that limits my activities.

Last, is my biggest reason, and it is culture. Korea and the United States have different cultures, but I have knowledge of American actions and culture. But I cannot promptly change my actions or my thinking like Americans, because I lived in Korea for 14 years. When I do actions like Korean people, people (in the U.S.) make strange faces. First, I was okay about that but (as time went on) that face put pressure on me and now I (think carefully about my actions). Sometimes I feel fear when meeting new people from other countries. So the (differences in) culture is my last big reason that controls my activity.

When I came to the United States I was fearful of each action because I was scared of all (the people) of America because the culture is so different. But now I feel I can do well in the future because I have my good friends and teachers. They always help me when I have hard problems. So I will try to solve my problems.