Healthiest Countries in the World

As the global fast food pandemic seems to be on the rise and the international obesity rate increases, Forbes magazine published
its annual World’s Healthiest Countries report; spotlighting countries who have created healthy habits amidst an unhealthy world.
Holding the title as the world’s healthiest country, Iceland has the highest life expectancy rate, at 72 years for men and 74 for women. Being one of the least populated countries in the world, which helped ensure its top spot, Iceland also has some of the world’s lowest tuberculosis prevalence and infant mortality rates.Sweden, Finland, Germany and Switzerland round out the top five, which isn’t a surprise to some.”Foreign countries are healthier because they eat smaller portions and also eat more frequently throughout the day,” sophomore Jasmine Pringle said.

The U.S., struggling to make progress, came in as number eleven.

“I think that America is too fat,” freshman Jared Lefbom said. “I think a lot of people have healthy hygiene habits but not healthy diet or exercise habits.”

According to Forbes, the U.S. spends more than 15 percent of its gross domestic product (GDP) on health care. A high rate that shows little effect on the U.S. health spectrum, yet surpasses its international counterparts.

However, the U.S. does hold the title of the world’s lowest infant mortality rate, and the second highest life expectancy rate.

But, not to be forgotten, the U.S. has a rising obesity rate in which one-third of its adult population, and 17 percent of its children and adolescents are considered to be obese.

According to the Center of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in 2010 Virginia had a 23.2 percent obesity rate. Fairfax County averaged between 22 and 26 percent in 2008.

Yet many still find hope in improvement.

“I think that the numbers are really bad, but I feel that America can fix it,” junior Andrew Riddle said. “We still have plenty of healthy people that can help influence [those that are] obese. America seems to be working on ways to fix this problem.”