Seniors anticipate prom

The end of the school year brings mixed emotions for students: relief at the approach of summer, fear of finals, and the thought of leaving another year of high school behind.

For seniors, though, there are a few more aspects of the end of the year to anticipate, one of them being prom.

“I’m just excited for prom because it’s my senior year!” said Amanda Fouche. This feeling is especially strong for seniors because prom culminates all of the characteristics of senior year into one night.

To grant seniors enough time to prepare for the evening, as well as a break, the attendance office is allowing seniors an excused leave of school after R3 on Friday, May 21.

Prom itself will not be held until nine that evening at The Waterford in Springfield, but many seniors are using the time in between to their advantage.

“I’m leaving school early to go get my nails done and get some very last minute jewelry,” said Fouche, who was glad for the extra time. It is common for senior prom groups to gather for pictures and go out to eat before the dance as well.

“After I get ready and pick up a boutineer for my date, we’re going to eat at Brio in Tysons Corner,” said Aby Diop. The evening will definitely be a lengthy one for all, with the dance not ending until around midnight.

As seniors look to prom as one of the last symbols of their high school careers, they are excited for it but sad to see it pass. Amanda Fouche noted, “It’s the last dance I’ll ever go to in high school.”

After prom, seniors will say goodbye to Annandale at graduation on June 17 at Constitution Hall, and move on toward a new chapter in their lives.