Construction prompts questions

As students finally get reacquainted with the hallways of AHS, certain teachers prepare to leave their classrooms. Soon, some teachers that have to share classrooms will be able to make the transition into the modular unit currently being installed. The 14-classroom unit is scheduled to be completed the week following Columbus Day weekend.

Construction for the modular unit began in July, and is nearing completion. Despite delays at the beginning of the project, the construction team has maintained a good working speed. “The biggest thing is with coordinating moving everything,” said County Field Construction Supervisor Paul Scott.

There are multiple people and companies involved in the installation of the modular unit. Fairfax County is overseeing the entire construction. This includes the gas company, the county electricians, the power company (Dominion Virginia Power), along with the various other contractors working under county supervisions. (The general contractor for this project is Creative Finishes Inc.)

Considering the now limited space in the back parking lot, AHS will have to create a new emergency evacuation plan for the 29 trailers and modular unit. “[The modular unit is] classified as a semi-permanent instruction so they come under the same rules as the trailers,” said Assistant Principal Vincent Randazzo.

Questions:

1. Will AHS be able to make use of the modular unit by second quarter?

“If everything is done by Columbus Day holiday weekend, I’m guessing [the construction will be done] by second quarter. So it’ll be a smooth transition form first quarter to second quarter. That would be the best case scenario, if we could make that transition from first quarter to second quarter,” said Assistant Principal Vincent Randazzo.

2. From a teacher’s perspective, how do you feel about the 14 new classrooms being built in the modular unit?

“I think it’s a good idea. [Changing classrooms is] very challenging. You have to be very organized [when] switching classrooms, which I have four rooms for five different classes. And it’s challenging getting my cart [full of classroom materials] through the hallway because it’s so crowded,” said English teacher Mary Ann Lyerly.

3. How did AHS obtain the modular unit?

“The reason we’re building this is because a new elementary school, Coates Elementary School, was built and it changed the boundaries. And with the boundary change, McNair [Elementary School, who previously had it] didn’t need it [anymore],” said County Field Supervisor Paul Scott. Fairfax County realized that AHS was still overcrowded, despite the recent boundary change, and decided to move the modular unit there.

4. What is the total cost of the modular unit?

The total cost of transferring the modular unit, installing it and setting up the plumbing and electricity is “in the ballpark of a million dollars. It’s a rough estimate,” said Scott. It all depends on how much actual site work we have to do. That depends on the [location and the placement of the modular unit outside] the school”.

5. When will the construction process be completed?

“It takes about six to nine months to design the plans and get it approved by the county. And [it takes] roughly three months to install,” said Scott. There was a slight issue with getting the permit approved by Fairfax County, which initially held the process up a bit. “We’re moving right along,” said Randazzo. “We never had a firm date, just that they were going to start it during the summer. Because everything depended on when the permits were going to be finalized.”