There’s a New Girl in town

What do the shows Friends, Will & Grace, and Scrubs have in common? It’s the classic humorous roommate TV series. Hollywood’s 500 Days of Summer, Zooey Deschanel, stars as Jessica Day on FOX’s upcoming comical sitcom.

Day is a spunky 20 year old  sweetheart who has just gotten her heart broken after her long-term boyfriend cheats on her. She answers a roommate ad on craigslist after moving out. The apartment owners are three single men named Nick (Jake Johnson), the “ladies man” who is undergoing a new vocabulary change with the “dougebag jar”, Schmidt (Max Greenfield), the newly single, like Day, who is not yet over his ex, which viewers know with the amount of drunk prank calls to her, and Coach (Damon Wayans Jr.), the fitness trainer who doesn’t know how to talk to girls. Schmidt seems to persuade Nick and Coach that despite the fact that she’s a woman, she is the appropriate choice because she has friends who are models. They soon realize, they have to deal with Day’s side affects of the break up which consist of crying while watching Dirty Dancing, and singing her emotions. The biggest element in the script is obviously Day’s nerdy awkwardness and her struggle to enter back into the dating world to overcome her gloominess from her ex-boyfriend.

New Girl puts a comedic twist on the heartfelt relationship between males and females. Don’t let the title fool you though; it’s not a girly, drama filled series. The light upbeat tone keeps the drama affable and the script is oozing with humor so its suitable for both genders.

Although it’s the classic spin on the relationships between roommates, New Girl takes a modern angle on comedy. The show premieres, Tuesday, September 20th at 9/8c on FOX, but for an early preview, you can download it from iTunes or  follow this link.