Parents of freshmen catch up

A sign was put up in the main hallway directing freshman students and their parents to the auditorium for Freshmen Parents’ Night, which was held last Wednesday, Sept. 14.

AHS frequently holds events to keep parents updated, and one of the ways it does that is through Freshmen Parents’ Night. Many parents came out on Sept. 14 to the auditorium to hear about was in store for their child for the next four years.

The parents, some with their freshman children, arrived at the auditorium at 7 p.m. First, Director of Student Services Jennifer Crump-Strawderman gave a welcome back speech, followed by a speech about PTSA from PTSA president Emily Slough. Slough’s major points were that all parents should “get kids involved.”

AHS has a wide variety of clubs and sports that would be a perfect fit for the students. She gave three suggestions of how freshmen could take full advantage. The first being “nutritious meals are a key factor in a child’s day – a banana or a granola bar would do the job,” she said. A student will not have full potential on an empty stomach, especially in the mornings.

The second suggestion being that “you have to remind your child, their number one job is to be a good student academically,” Slough said. Sports or extra-curricular tasks can wait, but learning should be a priority. “Atom Time can help with this [learning], but it’s a scary transition because it’s a first time with 2,500 students,” guidance counselor Ilana Reyes said.

“The third [suggestion] being, once again, encourage your child to become involved,” Slough said. “If students can not find a club they would join, you can always make one.”

“[My son] JT races motorcycles and if he doesn’t like a particular club, he would like to make a motorcycle club,” parent Dawn Young, mother of freshman JT Young, said. Slough could not stress enough that getting your child involved is a must.

“We are only here to help them and let them know they are not alone for the next four years,” Reyes said.

Assistant Principal and freshman class administrator Joe Thompson talked about “getting off to a great start.” Thompson also mentioned that “students should get involved in what they like because that’s what motivates them to fully achieve what they’re capable of.”

The last speaker of the night was Dean of Students Catherine Stone, who spoke mostly about attendance and policies. Finally, a special video made by 2006 AHS alumni Alex Barker, was played. The video consisted of all the benefits AHS provided to students. By the end of the night, parents of freshmen left with high hopes in seeing their children succeed here at AHS.

“It’s wonderful, they are giving you time to catch up,” Young said.