Online history textbooks: hit or miss?

With the new school year underway, AHS has launched the first set of online textbooks in the history department. Through this new form of a textbook, students are now able to access their textbooks online from home. Both teachers and students have been adjusting to this transition during the first couple weeks of school.

Each student is given their own username and password to access the textbook. Although this change has been made to try and help make students’ lives easier, many are complaining about how it has just made their lives worse. For one thing, despite the fact the online textbook provides a “zoom in” feature, students still seem to have trouble with the given font size.

“I don’t like them. The fonts too small, I always forget my username and password, and I don’t always have access to my computer,” junior Sheyne Guinto said.

Though most students have access to computers at home, not all of them have all-day access to them and have to share with other family members. This also affects any student that owns Apple products. The program used to launch the online textbook does not work with Macs, iPhones or iPads, creating a disadvantage to the students that use these devices.

Even though many have only encountered problems with the new online textbooks, others have come to like them.

“I like it because we don’t have to carry around a textbook and we don’t need to worry about obligations,” junior Kristina Chawla said.

The textbooks were meant to solve some problems. For example, the history department is known for heavy textbooks. The online textbooks save students the trouble of carrying them back and forth to and from school. This also eliminates the possibility of giving a student an obligation. The fees for losing a textbook can be as high as $100.

This new form of textbook is also eco-friendly. It helps AHS save paper and money. The online textbooks also include a feature where students can press a button on the textbook that allows it to be read to them.

Not only is the online textbook a new change for students, but for teachers too. Teachers have had to adjust to the new changes online.

“The online textbook program is generally going well. As with any new endeavor, there are some challenges. Limited Internet access is one challenge we’re addressing,” government teacher Stratton Shartel said.

Although internet access is a challenge for some students, there is still access provided by the AHS library if needed.

Overall, it seems like online textbooks will be here to stay and may even be used in other subjects in the future.

By Emily Blank
Staff Writer