Clubs help out for the holiday season

Seniors+Susie+Sowa+and+Reid+Moore+compile+baskets+for+Homestretch.+They+are+members+of+NHS.+
Seniors Susie Sowa and Reid Moore compile baskets for Homestretch. They are members of NHS.

As the holiday season draws near, several clubs are living up to the saying, “it is better to give than to receive.”

The AHS chapter of the Distributive Education Clubs of America (DECA) decided to hold a Holiday for Hope toy drive for the organization Dreams for Kids. This organization helps at-risk homeless children, some with disabilities.

DECA chooses a different organization each year that works with children, so that students can relate to them and also give back to the community. Some AHS students continue working with the organizations after school hours and after the school year has ended.

“It’s a really cool way for DECA to give back [and] I think it helps students learn about the importance of being a productive member of society and that they need to give back,” DECA sponsor Lindsay Zivney said. “My job here at Annandale is to teach and help prepare teens for the real world, and this is one way that really helps to do that on a hands on experience.”

Additionally, DECA will volunteer with Dreams for Kids members and then do volunteer work on Dec. 18 at Howard University for the actual Holiday for Hope event. Events include handing out gifts, helping with entertainment, face painting, serving the holiday meal, and spending time with the children in need.

The National Honor Society (NHS) held a drive for an organization called Homestretch, a non-profit organization which helps underprivileged families live normal lives after being removed from high-risk situations, such as abuse. NHS president Carolyn Hartley called the drive a success.

Members promoted the drive in W4 classes which resulted in 400 items for baskets and over 300 canned goods for Homestretch. canned goods for Homestretch.

“I liked the drive because it involved the whole school and I hope everyone gained an appreciation for what they have. We should definitely do something similar to this drive again,” Junior Corinne Balicki said.

Key Club, will be providing food for the homeless on Dec. 3 at the Baily’s Crossroads Homeless Shelter.

“In the winter time, the homeless are more in need due to the temperature outside” Key Club president Diego Cornejo said, “Disease is widespread across the area, and so [we] want to do all it can to help the homeless out by volunteering at food shelters”

Members have also reflected on the experiences that they have gained by this service opportunity.

“I’ve realized how many people are unfortunate to have no food or a place to live. Volunteering at the homeless shelters humbled me and made me appreciate that fact that I have someone to take care and provide things for me,” junior Michelle Park said.

The Black Cultural Awareness Association (BCAA) is holding a sock drive to collect clean adult size white socks for the Bailey’s Crossroads Homeless Shelter. Students can place new pairs of socks in baskets in their W4 classes. The W4 class collecting the largest number of socks is rewarded with a breakfast in the Bistro.

“So many teens think they are just entitled to everything these days and it helps them appreciate what they have when they see and work with others who are less fortunate,” Zivney said.

Ngan Pham also contributed to this report.