‘Love’s Labor Lost’ debuts this week

Sophomore Muhammad Malik practices his lines in preparation for the Dec. 15 ESOL production.

What’s it like to be a student who is barely fluent in the English language and tackle a play by its best playwright? ESOL students will find out when they take the stage to perform Love’s Labor Lost by William Shakespeare on Dec. 15 at 7:30 p.m.

Theatre Without Borders, a program that was started in 2003, gives ESOL students the opportunity to perform in Shakespearean plays. It was made in an effort to have the students pursue theater interests despite the language barrier between them and native English speakers.

“We started it because we felt there was an interest in theatre among ESOL,” co-sponsor Leslie Chekin said. “We felt that were was a sort of language barrier. We have all sorts of people now.”

ESOL is comprised of students who have been in the U.S. anywhere from one year to five years. Obviously, the language level varies, and roles have to be assigned accordingly.

“We use the script we’re going to perform, we select the scenes and monologues from the scripts,” co-sponsor Nick Liacopoulos said. “Quite often they’ll surprise us.”

Junior Sheiny Concepcion de la Cruz was one of those surprises. She’s only been in the U.S. for a year, yet she has managed to get one of the lead roles of the princess of France from 37 other students. The roles were chosen through an audition process involving co-sponsors Chekin and Liacopoulus.

“She’s a really talented girl,” Chekin said. “She gets up there and she is the character. She’s just been here a year.”

As for the play, Love’s Labor Lost is not a well-known Shakespearean play. It is about four men who swear off women in order to focus on their studies, right as four beautiful women show up which is where the story begins. The four leading roles are Lord Byron, Rosaline, the Princess of France and King Ferdinand.

Though the play isn’t Shakespeare’s most popular work, co-sponsor Leslie Chekin believes the play will be received well.

“What’s not to like [about the play]? I think they’ll enjoy it,” Chekin said.

Language is not a barrier for the students, as the constant rehearsing and practicing of lines familiarizes them with English.

“Since you’re practicing it every day it becomes really easy. Their English is getting better because of this play,” AHS alumnus Fabiola Alba said.

Theatre Without Borders’ members aren’t limited to current AHS students; Alba is serving as the art consultant for the play. She was a student director for the 2010-2011 school year, and helps out with this year’s cast.

“They’re doing a really good job,” Alba said. “This play is their first one.”

Theatre Without Borders has been working on Love’s Labor Lost since October. Their rehearsals are held after school from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. from Dec. 12-14, and consist of actors running lines while others paint the set in the background, or work on other parts of the set.

Not only are there actors for the play, there are students who operate soundboards, choose music for the play and operate lights.

Junior Ayman Alhamdali is one of the students that is responsible for sound. He chooses the background music for the play.

“I found it a little bit harder to find some music that fits with the play because the play happened in the Elizabethan Era,” Alhamdali said.

“I think everything is going to go really well because we’re working hard to entertain the audience,” junior Andrea Albarracin said. Albarracin will play the part of Rosaline.

Fellow students, teachers and parents are expected to attend, but everyone is welcome. Admission is free, but donations will be accepted.