New actors, old movies

New+actors%2C+old+movies+

Bigger, better and bolder seem to be the goal of all famous Hollywood movies or shows today. Many classics such as Scarface, Titanic and Cleopatra, set high standards for their genre of film. More specifically, all of these films are in the process of being remade in the upcoming years. The majority of these films being remade in 3D.

Spiderman, which may have gone through enough remakes, is being redone once again with an all-new cast. Set to be released on July 3, 2012 Peter Parker will be played by The Social Network’s Andrew Garfield and his romantic interest Gwen Stacy will be portrayed by Easy A’s Emma Stone.

“Emma Stone is one of my favorite actresses. But the cast in a movie, especially in a remake does not determine the quality of the movie;” said junior Omar Abdularahim. Many can agree that an all-star cast does not equal an all-star movie.

With quality and cost put into consideration, Spiderman, which will also be made in 3D, raises concerns for AHS’ frequent moviegoers. “They’re just going to kill the classics. 3D might be fun to watch, but it just makes movies more expensive, and we’re broke people,” senior Anna Dinh said

With the current economy, many people may not be inclined to spend on average of $15 for a 3D movie ticket. “I really don’t see any remake, especially a superhero action film like Spiderman breaking any records,” Dinh said.

Big time studio MGM is taking remakes to a whole new level. They recently took on four new movies to be remade. For the purpose of the remakes, MGM has secured a deal with Paramount Pictures to co-finance Hansel And Gretel: Witch Hunters, Robocop, Mr. Mom and The Idolmaker. David Aronofsky who also produced The Wrestler and The Fighter, and directed Black Swan will produce Robocop.

It seems like today we may not want remakes but other films such as Batman, Iron Man, Friday the 13th and Clash of the Titans were all successes in box office. The Joker played by Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight of 2008 replaced Cesar Romero of the 1966’s Batman. Ledger’s performance earned him countless nominations too. “A lot of these remade movies have been really good and people obviously like them. As long as they stay true to the original story, it’s fine,” freshman Hiwot Daniel said.

Some prefer the concept of remastered movies over remakes. James Cameron, director of Titanic and other Blockbuster hits, such as Avatar, The Terminator and Aliens, recently confirmed that the iconic film is in the process of being re-mastered to be viewed in 3D.

Still students debate the purpose of the release, “I hate when they re-release movies, I don’t see why anyone would go watch it in theaters when they have probably seen it already,” said senior Brandon Marwah.

With a tentative release date in April of 2012, close to the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the movie’s namesake ship, some are still excited at the news of it’s re-release. “Titanic is my all-time favorite movie and I don’t care the cost, I want to see it again in 3D!” said senior Alice Jones. Though the movie made over a billion dollars worldwide, can it top its already monumental record?

As the worth of the ticket and the quality of the remake being considered and the influx of movies being remade, the decision remains up to the viewers whether or not it’s worth the hassle to reinvent the classics.