NTSB proposes cell phone ban

The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) has proposed a nationwide ban of all cell phone use while driving. This would include texting, using apps and even making calls while behind the wheel, habits that are extremely common among student drivers at AHS.

News of the NTSB proposal sparked mixed reactions throughout the AHS student body.

“I think that this law could help reduce accidents, but I don’t think they really need to ban making calls on a phone, just texting and using apps,” junior Zack Lalande said.

According to the National Safety Committee, over 28 percent of car crashes are due to cell phone use. The NTSB hopes that banning cell phone use will decrease the amount of distracted drivers on the road, in addition to crashes caused by these drivers.

“Even though it’s dangerous, sometimes it is for emergency reasons and it’s necessary to have [a cell phone],” sophomore Amanda Filsoof said. “But people should know when and when not to use it while driving.”

The NTSB does not have the power to turn this proposal into a law, but it does have a great influence on state legislatures that can. Many states in the U.S., including Virginia, have already put laws in place that prohibit texting while driving. But no states have put in laws banning complete cell phone use thus far.

“Well I think that we should be allowed to use cell phones, but only if they have Bluetooth or [if the car is] completely stopped,” junior Matt Stevens said.

Many local governments are already pushing for the cell phone ban, and it is likely that if states do not take action with this issue, local communities will.

“It seems like a good proposal since there have been so many accidents because of drivers using cell phones instead of paying attention to the road,” sophomore James Barker said.