Norovirus among illnesses affecting students

Sneezing, coughing, touching and blowing. All these verbs are deadly when it comes to the Norovirus, an illness that has spiraled out of control in past weeks and taken hold at AHS.

“I think people should be more careful and be more sanitary,” junior Brenda Velasco said.

The Norovirus is a stomach flu that is caused by infection and passed on quite easily. Its most common symptoms are diarrhea, vomiting and stomach pain. Once a person has had this virus, he or she becomes susceptible to the illness and may have it several times over a lifetime.

“It is worrisome when you have people who have compromised immune systems and that can include elderly or very young people who have a compromised immune system,” Public Health Nurse Shira Jorgensen said.

People with the virus become contagious as soon as they begin to experience symptoms and some may take two weeks to recover, making it even more difficult to return to health.

Another severe symptom of the Norovirus is dehydration, which can be a huge problem for the elderly and young children.

At Willows Springs ES in Fairfax County, about 100 students and teachers were absent on Friday, resulting in the cancellation of all evening and weekend activities so that the school could be disinfected with a bleach solution.

“Every day we gather statistics; how many kids are absent, how many have come into the clinic. We keep track of kids with stomach problems or flu-like symptoms,” Jorgensen said.

The virus has affected the entire DMV area. In fact, Maryland has reported 87 outbreaks, 30 more than the 57 last year.

“The database [here at AHS] keeps a five-day average total. If there is a substantial increase in the number of stomach viruses or flu-like symptoms, than we have to do an investigation and the results are sent to the Health Department Unit of Communicable Diseases, “ Jorgensen said.

In an attempt to avoid contracting the virus, here are some tips to prevent it from getting into your system:

• Wash your hands carefully with soap and warm water after eating and using the bathroom.
  • Carefully wash any fruits, vegetables and products used in the kitchen.
  • If you are sick, do not prepare food while infected; the Norovirus is highly contagious and can be passed easily by touch.
  • Clean and disinfect any contaminated areas if sick.