How does the start of school affect your mental health?

Starting school back up can be difficult for some students. It’s often hard for students to manage their time well and balance their outside school activity and responsibilities. An insight to the student is that stress can often come from having to balance school, physical activities like sports, a job, social life and family. 

¨In the summer I had more time to tend to my responsibilities at home and at work. Now that school has started its been more difficult to have that same amount of time because IB classes and field hockey can be time consuming¨ said senior Jacqueline Anastacio

But there are also other aspects of it like the freshmen. It could be difficult adjusting to the new environment. Taking more intense classes. Having to start thinking about your future. Traveling through a bigger school. Others also see it as a new beginning. More motivation. A place where you are able to start over and learn new things. 

“We have to consider some kids leave school to go to work, others have to go and take care or siblings, parent, grandparent that may have health issues so we have to be considerate about some of the stuff they are dealing with outside of school,” said Student Support Coordinator, Maggie Gibeau. 

Oftentimes as you go up in grade level the work load goes up, classes start becoming more complex and difficult. Annandale highschool offers many resources to support the students. Don’t hesitate in visiting your counselor, psychologist or a trusted teacher if you need a hand.