IB exam policy announced

IB Coordinator Shirley Campbell has just released the new IB exam attendance policy, which details the protocol for students with morning exams, afternoon exams and those who want an extra day or two to study.

IB study days may be taken by students if written notice is provided to the attendance office within 24 hours before the day-off by parents or guardians. The note has to explicitly state the day the student will be taking off and what exam he or she will be studying for. IB Diploma Candidates can take two study days, while other IB students can take one to two days, depending on how many IB classes they are taking.

During May, there will be a morning and afternoon testing session for IB tests. If a student has a morning test, he or she may leave school after the test if they have turned in an early release permission slip to the attendance office a week before the test. Students with afternoon tests can stay home to prepare if they have turned in a late arrival permission form and they arrive at their testing center at least 30 minutes before the exam begins. Students can get these forms from their teachers, the school website or the attendance office.

Senior Susie Sowa is an IB Diploma Candidate who has to take tests for five classes this year. With her diploma at stake, she has to take studying seriously. She says that she plans on taking advantage of her allotted study days and will go home once she has finished her test.

“I will definitely go home after exams, because I will be so tired” Sowa said.

This policy is less lenient than in years past, when many students did not have to fill out forms to leave. Principal Vince Randazzo and Dean of Students Catherine Stone believe that the policy is less stressful for kids now.

“It’s an effort to reduce stress for students and the attendance office,” Stone said.

Stone says that in years past, students would have to stand in long lines if they wanted to leave school.

“It’ll be easier for students,” Randazzo said.

With all of these classroom disruptions, many IB teachers will stop teaching new material because of low attendance. IB Topics teacher Mary Ann Richardson has been dealing with IB testing season for eight years. The first year, she tried to teach, but realized that her efforts were fruitless.

“I want students in class, but they need to use their time as wisely as they can,” Richardson said.

She says that she lets students use her class period to not only study for her class’s exam, but for other exams as well. Since it is such a “gruelling” month, Richardson says that students need to avoid growing exhausted.

“They should plan with their parents. Students know their own schedules best,” Richardson said.

Click and Download the IB exams schedule and the IB answer booklet instructions.

[imagebrowser id=224]