The Lucky One best romantic drama since The Notebook

High School Musical’s sweetheart, Zac Efron, is all grown up in his new romantic drama based off of Nicholas Sparks’ novel of the same title. The Lucky One, which was directed by Shine’s Scott Hicks, is the best adaptation of a Sparks’ novel since The Notebook.

The film begins with Efron, a troubled marine, named Logan narrating life during his tour in Iraq.  During his patrol, he notices a photo of a woman on the ground. As he walks towards the photo, there is an explosion and he realizes that had he not reached for the photo, his life would have ended at that very moment.

At the end of his tour, Logan returns home determined to find and thank the woman in the photo. Returning home with his sister and her two kids proves to be difficult and he has trouble adjusting to life at home. In need of a change in scenery, Logan leaves, searching for the woman in the photo who saved his life.

After walking thousands of miles with nothing and no one but his loyal dog, Logan arrives at a dog kennel, where the woman in the photo works.

Finally coming face-to-face with her, Logan doesn’t have the nerve to tell her his story and ends up accepting a job at the dog kennel.

The woman from the photo is Beth, portrayed by Mercy’s Taylor Schilling. While she isn’t the best actress for the role because of the obvious age gap, together they somehow fit.

Despite the difference in age, Logan emerges as a protector of Beth and her young son, from Beth’s abusive ex-husband, who is the basis of all conflict in the film.

The film is a must-see for all hopeless romantics. It is the best Sparks adaptation since The Notebook.

Efron has finally broken out of his Disney shell and Shilling made a bold motion picture debut with success.

Not to mention, the fact that the film has a killer soundtrack with music from A Fine Frenzy, Joshua Radin and Brandi Carlile.

This film receives a solid B for staying true to the novel and blending a unique cast of characters. It is not recommended you wait for its DVD release because someone will be sure to spoil the plot for you by then.