Green Springs Gardens free for Prom pictures

Beautiful greenery, fragrant flowers and a variety of shrubbery are often taken for granted as backdrops for Prom pictures. Thanks to Principal Vincent Randazzo, AHS students will be given free admission to Green Spring Gardens in Alexandria on May 25th from 3 p.m – 7 p.m.
According to senior class sponsor Kellie Burke, the county park contacted Randazzo about free admission for seniors.
“Mr. Randazzo worked with the parks department, and was able to pay for Annandale to have a couple of hours at the park,” senior class sponsor Kellie Burke said. “So it’s not free, but its free of charge for the students.”

Green Spring Gardens is conveniently located less than 15 minutes away from AHS, and has been the setting for Prom pictures in the past.

AHS alum Natalie Johnson, class of 2011, and her group took their pictures at Green Spring Gardens last year, and loved the setting.

“We took our pictures at Green Spring Gardens. We chose this place because the scenery is absolutely beautiful,” Johnson said. “There are gardens everywhere and a beautiful gazebo that was absolutely perfect for a large group photo. We also wanted an outdoor venue because the lighting looks so much better.”

Burke expects a substantial turnout based on past turnout at the park.

“We hope [many students will attend]; we know it’s been popular in the past for students to go take pictures there, so we’re hoping that this encourages them because it is really pretty and it’s free for them,” Burke said.

“I think it’s great that Mr. Randazzo has managed to make it free for everyone because it truly is a beautiful place to take pictures,” Johnson said.

Prom is a costly rite of passage, and having a free setting for students who are often strapped for cash is greatly beneficial.

“I think this is a great opportunity for people with insufficient funds to take wonderful scenic pictures that will turn into memories that last a lifetime,” senior Diego Cornejo said.