Put away technology and pick up a book this summer

As summer continues to roll bye most high schoolers like to relax and enjoy leisurely activities. Far too much of that leisurely time is spent watching television or using a computer.

In the summer many teenagers pick up a very lazy mentality and make excuses for sitting inside and watching TV all day. It’s okay to relax, but watching television or going on social networks has absolutely no positive value. A much better way to spend your summer relaxing is by reading a book.

It is a common known fact that many teenagers don’t enjoy reading. This is often because most of those teenagers have never read outside of school and textbooks typically don’t interest anyone. If they would just give a fun book in a genre that appeals to them they might fine that reading can be really enjoyable.

Reading can also help get those gears moving in your brain so that cobwebs don’t start to grow up there throughout the summer. Reading helps to expand your vocabulary, to analyze subjects, and to understand figurative language too.

Some recommended books for this summer are: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han, I’d Tell You I Love You, but Then I’d Have to Kill You by Ally Carter, Secrets of My Hollywood Life by Jen Calonita, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne, The Maze Runner by James Dashner, Peak by Roland Smith, Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton, Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J. K. Rowling, We Are So Crashing Your Bar Mitzvah! by Fiona Rosenbloom, and Every Soul A Star by Wendy Mass. Hopefully you will be able to find at least one book that interests you in this list because they are all very good.

So turn of the TV, log off the computer, and pick up a great book to start reading!