FBLA regional awards coming up

Christine Tamir
FBLA member Sophia Mohamed works after school with FBLA sponsor Helen Silberminz.

Entrepreneurship isn’t the first thing that comes to mind when one thinks of AHS. But tucked behind the brick walls, there  are students who strive to be leaders in the business world. Students with aspirations such as this look to join the Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA). On March 7 AHS competitors in the FBLA regional competition will be attending the Regional Awards Ceremony at Marymount University. The FBLA Awards Program offers competitions for students enrolled in business classes and interested in business and career-related areas.

“This is when the students who competed find out if they won and if they will be going on to compete at the state conference in April,” business teacher Helen Silberminz said.

Students from all around the country participate in FBLA competitions in the regional, state and national levels. Any students from AHS who win at the regional level will move on to the state competition and if a student wins first or second at the state competition then they will continue on to the national competition.

Student from AHS competed in three different categories: online tests, skills tests, and performance tests.

“About 40 students competed this year,” Silberminz said.

Students competed in a wide variety of events, including Accounting, Computer Applications, Economics and Public Speaking, among many others.

Students got to choose which events they competed in based on what classes they have taken in the past and which competitions they have previously competed in.

“I competed in the Computer Applications event,” senior Clare Lazar said. “I chose this event because all the material on the test is what I learned in my sophomore year in advanced information systems and I also competed in the event last year.”

Both members and sponsors are looking forward to the results that will be announced at the ceremony.

“I’m excited to see if I place in my event and I am also excited to see how other FBLA members did in their events,” Lazar said.

Part of competing also involves members earning points for their chapters.  AHS FBLA is hoping that they earn enough points to qualify as an honors chapter again this year.

“We have been an honor chapter for the past 10 years. We earn points for our local activities and for students who compete and win awards,” Silberminz said.

In the past, AHS has been well-represented in the region, with multiple students placing in their events. AHS’s FBLA hopes for similar results this year.

“I hope that Annandale is represented well in the region with lots of members placing in their events,” Lazar said.