Fairfax county: safest in the nation

Mid-year crime reports were put out by 70 of the largest police departments across the nation and Fairfax County was ranked as the safest of its size.

The Major Cities Chief Association (MAAC), released their mid-year report, listing the number of incidents in each of the four major categories; homicide, rape, robbery and aggravated assault across these 70 jurisdictions. The reports show Fairfax county’s crime data from January 1, 2023, through June 30, 2023.

From past reports we have seen a slight increase in crime rates but still remain one of the safest. Fairfax county police officer Garry Thomas said “we are using modern and digital technology as well as communicating with the public to make the community as safe as possible for all community members.”

FCPD uses technology such as computers, social media and cameras to help reduce crime.

Fairfax County collaborates with schools by placing officers in schools to work alongside principals and teachers. Additionally, they receive regular training on how to keep the school safe, particularly with regard to cutting-edge methods and information, as well as from students who share information about potential risks and other relevant topics, such as school shooters. And they all cooperate to ensure that any threats are taken seriously and are dealt with to the best of their abilities.

Annandale High School goes beyond the prerequisites for school safety required by the county. These extra methods include conducting weekly administrative meetings to go over issues happening within the school and the community and our School Resource Officer works with FCPD to bring matters into the school’s attention, so that Annadale can keep an eye out on possible issues.  

“We have a really good understanding of not only what’s happening in Annandale High School and how we can work together to support students, but also what’s happening in the community and how we can support families of students who live within our boundary,” said Principal Shawn DeRose.

Annandale’s administration’s most pressing matter is student safety. Throughout the school day, Annandale makes sure that all staff members are out all around the school during transitions. “All staff have responsibilities every step of the way when it comes to being visible in the hall. Also, I think that you’ve seen that we’ve really recognized that a lot of instances where trouble does arise, it’s because students aren’t not only doing what they’re supposed to do, but they’re not where they’re supposed to be,” said DeRose.

Sophomore Lizzie Gronberg shares her views about the safety of Annandale. “I do feel safe at Annandale. There are the unusual fights that make it a little bit iffy but the administration does a really good job of getting and staying on top of any altercations that might happen.”

Fairfax county remains the safest, especially since FCPD and Annandale are always looking for ways to make our community and schools safer, especially by speaking with students and families.

https://fcpdnews.files.wordpress.com/2023/09/mcca-blog-1-chart.png