Letterman now lackluster?

In decades past, the letterman jacket was a staple article of clothing for high school athletes, but that is not the case anymore. It seems as though parents have failed to pass on this tradition to their children because of the lack of letterman jackets among the student body.

Despite receiving a letter and multiple stars, many varsity athletes choose to ignore the opportunity to attach the symbols of achievement to a jacket. Other students see the value in their jackets and wear them with pride.

“They’re comfy and warm, but they’re too expensive and too big in girls sizes. This is probably the main reason why people don’t buy them anymore,” sophomore Jennifer Nguyen said.

Letterman jackets derived from letterman sweaters, which were first established at Harvard University in 1865. The Harvard baseball team embroidered a large “H” on its gray flannel uniforms, though only the best players were allowed to keep this letter.

Varsity jackets gained popularity in the early part of the 20th century and had transformed into wool jackets with leather sleeves by 1930. Letters were typically handed out to upperclassmen during the height of the jackets’ popularity.

Today, jackets cost anywhere from $150 to $180 and are sold at select athletic stores. Anyone can get a jacket, but students must be a member of a varsity sports team or school-sponsored activity to earn a letter or stars to attach to their jacket.

“I’ve earned a letter and a few stars, but I didn’t get a letterman jacket because they’re really expensive and a bit ridiculous,” junior Ashley Whittle said. “I think that they can be good memories, but the letters and stars that I got from the sports I participated in are good enough for me, especially since they will last just as long.”

Some students purchase a letterman jacket immediately after receiving a letter.

“I have a jacket and I think it is a good way to show my accomplishments from sports and other activities,” junior Andrew Boyd said. “My jacket is going to be an important memory of my high school life.”

The jackets are not just a thing of the past, as the trend also seems to be popular at other schools.

“I still have my jacket. [They] were definitely popular when I was in high school since 50 to 60 percent of people had one,” science teacher Neal Jarvis said. “I think they are popular today, just not [at AHS] for socio-economic reasons. If you go to Robinson, they’re very popular.”

Jarvis went to AHS and graduated in 1997. His jacket featured a letter and stars that he earned in swim and track.

On the other hand, some may fear the concrete tradition deeming letterman jackets an athlete’s possession, which could discourage students who participate in chorus, band or clubs from obtaining a jacket. Additionally, athletes may not want the attention that these jackets create, causing them not to purchase one themselves.

“I think people who get letters or pins from clubs and extra-curriculars don’t get letterman jackets because they don’t think they require as much of a physical effort as sports do,” junior Stephen Oakes said, “I got a letter for swim and stars for golf, chorus and swim.”

Many students believe that letterman jackets are exclusively for varsity athletes, but academic achievement letters, club pins and team district, regional or state championship patches can also be attached to the jackets.

“I’ve gotten a letter and stars from cheer, gymnastics and track. I think [a letterman jacket] is an American tradition in schools for varsity athletes, who should be proud to wear them,” senior Ashlyn Nisker said.