Atoms fall short to Stallions

The Atoms girls basketball team started off strong, dominating in their first two games against Wakefield and JEB Stuart High School. However, their third game against South County Secondary school did not go as well, with a 38-19 loss. The girls hope to come back strong in their upcoming district games against T.C. Williams and Robert E. Lee High School.

Sophomore Hailey Brown is optimistic about the team’s future. “I think we just need to improve on our passing aspect of the game and boxing out so we can get all of the rebounds, and take more shots,” Brown said.

Hard work will be the key element in the girl’s success in future games. “I think staying out of foul trouble will really help because that is an issue we have right now,” said Junior Isabelle Yaroch.

Yaroch feels the team’s biggest competition this season was South County Secondary School, a game that has already been played by the Atoms. “I’m really looking forward to the district tournament because I think we can go really far in it,” Yaroch said. Their goal is not to advance even farther than districts and continue to defeat their competition. The girls all have high hopes for the future of AHS girls basketball.

Brown also has very positive things to say about the head coach Hughes, “We have a good coach that works us hard and that we listen to him so he makes us better players and a better team.”

Coach Hughes is working the team hard to prepare them for future games. “We are still learning as the season progresses and we will keep getting better and better and work through any obstacles and issues while we accomplish all of our goals,” said Hughes.

The girls junior varsity team has only played one game against JEB Stuart High School with an impressive 72-1 win, clearly showing the strong teamwork and skills of the girls. “We are working on defensive an offensive play, especially getting the rebound,” said sophomore and post player Megan Wade.

The success of the girls team so far hints at an extremely bright future the team and AHS girls’ basketball program as whole. Although the varsity team did not win, the junior varsity’s crushing defeat last week is an excellent sign. Hopefully the junior varsity girls will continue their winning streak and the varsity team will learn from the previous game and defeat the T.C. Titans this Friday night.