Meet the atoms leader on the pool deck

Atoms Head Coach Carmen Lucas poses for a photo with her team after practice

The Atoms swim team is off to a great season, with the boys team 4-2 . The Atoms are led on deck by Head Coach Carmen Lucas. 

Coach Lucas has been swimming since she was 14 years old, and began coaching around the same time. 

Before joining the Atoms coaching staff seven years ago, Coach Lucas coached for 13 years at various clubs and pools. 

Lucas added, “This sport did so much for me when I was their age, and I want to pay that forward to them the way my coaches paid it forward to me.”

Becoming a swim coach has influenced Coach Lucas to do more and pick a profession. 

It’s actually what led me to becoming a teacher,” Lucas added. 

During Coach Lucas’s 7 years at AHS, she has not taken the task lightly, and brings high energy everywhere. 

“I love this team, and I’d even say I feel more attached to this team than my own high school swim team,” added Lucas. 

Coach Lucas leads her team with a strong coaching style and mentality of “tough but fair” which has played a strong role in the Atoms success on deck.
Lucas adds, “I’ll challenge my athletes and push them with hard practices, then turn around and be their biggest cheerleader at our meets.”

Being a swim coach has been a huge dream of Coach Lucas, and she brings that energy to the pool deck everyday.
I love my sport, I love my team, and I’m on deck with them living my dream being their coach,” added Lucas. 

You can support Coach Lucas and the Atoms Swim and Dive team at their next meet Friday, Feb. 9 for the Regional Tournament, or follow them on instagram @atomsswimdive