Majors Top Atoms 48-38

“It’s sad to see this great season come to an end,” said the obviously disappointed junior point guard Kelly Hughes after the lady Atoms lost to the Mount Vernon Majors on Wed. Feb. 24.  The final score of the game was 48-38.

The Atoms were lead by senior Aby Diop who had this to say about this year’s successful season, “I think the season went well. I wish we had gone further, but I still think what we did was good.”

Girls basketball finished the season with an overall record of 14-8. “I feel like it went great. This season we had the best girls basketball record in 15 years and thats a great accomplishment,” continued Hughes, who had nine points in the game.

“I think it went great this season, but it’s always tough to end on a loss,” said  head coach Patrick Hughes. “I probably had more fun coaching this year than any other year I’ve coached.”

Although the girls lost, there were a few bright spots to end of the season. Senior Aby Diop was named to the 1st team All-District and 1st team All-Tournament. When asked about her tremendous accomplishment,  Diop was very enthusiastic. “It was amazing! It was a goal I set at the beginning of the year, even though I didn’t think I could achieve it. I’m so proud that I accomplished my goal,” Diop said.

Senior Nikki Clarke and junior Kelly Hughes were also named 2nd team All-District. The team’s strong teamwork was a main component to their success.

AHS girls basketball will now look to next season with great excitement after their impressive record this year. 

“I’m very excited about the way the varsity’s season turned out. I’m also looking forward to hopefully be a part of that team in the future,” said sophomore junior varsity player Jessica Hotter.

The AHS junior varsity girls basketball team went an amazing 14-0 this season. There will be high expectations for them next year, as they will have to replace the four seniors leaving AHS.

The lady Atoms will be returning seven players from this year’s team next year, which should help them to improve on their record, and continue their success from this season to nest year.

With such a strong junior varsity team, the future lady Atoms are certainly going to continue their dominance on the court. Unfortunately, the girls will have to wait until next year to show their prowess.