Baseball loses in second round

In a season full of highs and lows, the varsity baseball team ended their season on May 19 with a loss to the Woodson Cavaliers, 11-1.

“It was a disappointing end to the season because we could have gone further if we had played our best,” said senior Ryan Schubert, who pitched three innings for the team.

The Atoms displayed their potential in the first round of the Patriot District tournament when they defeated West Potomac 15-4 on May 18.

“We played really well in the [West Potomac] game,” said junior Ryan Keck. “It was a good way to start the district tournament and gain momentum.”

The scoring was highlighted by a six-run sixth inning in which the team sent all nine men to the plate and featured a deep homerun to left field by senior outfielder Robert Potts.

Due to inclement weather, the Atoms were forced to play their second game of districts the very next night; on the road against Woodson. During the regular season, the team split their two games against the Cavaliers, with Woodson winning the first and AHS winning the second on a walk-off hit by junior Greg Nielsen.

Entering the game, the Atoms had high hopes with Schubert, the team’s best pitcher, on the mound.

Unfortunately, Woodson got the best of AHS, jumping out to an early lead and never looking back.

“We were competitive, but we didn’t win as many games as we expected,” said head coach Ron Abrigo. “We definitely should have won more.”

Despite the loss, several players received all-district recognition for their performance this year. Schubert earned first team all-district, while junior Jake Barnes and seniors Nathan Clayton and Stefan Marquardt were awarded second team all-district. Juniors Evan Smith and Jordan Cowles were named honorable mention in the Patriot District.

“[The district honors] were very appropriate,” said Abrigo. “With more wins, I think some of our second team guys would’ve moved to first [team], but the Patriot District is the toughest district in the state, so it’s still impressive.”

With the close of the 2010 baseball season also comes the departure of over half the team, with the varsity squad losing nine seniors: Potts, Schubert, Marquardt, Clayton, outfielder Justin Robson, outfielder Michael Lazar, catcher Kevin Fields, outfielder Marquis Perez, and pitcher Nathan Reel.

“Leadership is obviously going to be affected, but we have some rising seniors that will be good leaders for us too,” said Abrigo. “Pitching [will be impacted] and we’re going to lose the whole [starting] outfield.”

Despite the losses, the Atoms are hoping to have a successful season next year and improve upon their district tournament result.