8th Annual Arlington 5k a success

On September 11, 2001, American Airlines Flight 77 crashed into the Pentagon in Washington, D.C., killing the 59 passengers aboard as well as the 125 civilians who occupied that section of the Pentagon’s office buildings.

That spring, Matt Smith, a police officer for the Police Department of Alexandria,  joined a committee to found a race in remembrance of those who died that day.
Smith responded to the Pentagon for 18 days after the incident. He worked 16 hours a day, and saw the devastation unfold as he took part in the rebuilding and cleaning of the Pentagon as well as the investigation of the terrorist attacks.

Approximately 3,500 to 4,000 people, including runners and spectators, attend the Arlington Police/Fire/Sheriff 9-11 Memorial 5K each year.

The AHS community has embraced the race by sending its Atomic Dance Team as entertainment and neighbors as participants since the first year.
Although several thousand people have consistently attended the Memorial 5K since its first year in 2002, the sponsorship of the race has grown annually.

The members of Smith’s focus group were each responsible for marketing to vendors and sponsors outside the police department such as Papa John’s, Miller Light, and music.

The proceeds of the 9-11 5K go to non-profit organizations who support the wounded in the war on terrorism.
Mary Gavin, partner in the event, remembers exactly where she was on September 11, 2001.

“I was in a training class in Arlington with a bunch of firefighters and police[men]. Back then everyone had pagers, and they all went off. We went to the Pentagon and as I drove down 95 to [the] station — I was in charge of the staff — I saw the plume [of smoke].”

Most of the volunteers are either retired or off-duty police officers from jurisdictions all over New York, Smith says.
The Memorial race even reaches global heights with the National FBI Academy, which brings a group each year to run.

The annual Arlington Police/Fire/Sheriff 9-11 Memorial 5K occurs in front of the Doubletree Hotel, across from the Pentagon.