Boys basketball soars to 4-4 record

Looking to record their fourth win of the season, the varsity boys basketball team took on the Lee Lancers on Jan. 4. The Atoms dominated the game as they went on to win, 80-34.

“I feel as a team we played great, everyone was able to play and even the fans were into it. This is the type of play we need week in and week out if we want to make the playoffs,” Head Coach Anthony Harper said after the win.

Even with limited play, senior Karl Ziegler led the team with 15 points and was 5-5 from the free-throw line. “He’s an all around player,” Harper said. “[He’s] definitely one of the best players in the region. He’s a great leader and with help from senior D’Angelo Boyce [who had 12 points, 1 steal and went 2-2 from the free-throw line] we should definitely be a playoff contender.”

Sophomore Sanar Shamdeen was the team’s second leading scorer with 13 points and 3 steals. It seems that all is focused on the bond of the players and their passion for one another.

“If we want to win we’re going to need constant production from our starters as well as the bench and that’s what we got tonight vs. Lee,” Boyce said of the Atoms’ performance. “Our starting five is just so in sync right now [which includes senior Boyce, Shamdeen, Ziegler, junior Reggie Scott, and senior Melvin Robinson] that we shouldn’t be stopped.”

With important district games coming up, look for the Atoms’ strong five and solid bench to come out on top.