Baseball is back

Baseball is back

79 years. That’s how long it took a Washington baseball team to make the playoffs. The Washington Nationals are the first D.C. baseball team to do it since 1933. However, it did not come overnight. They clinched the Wild Card spot in the middle of last month when no team, save the Atlanta Braves could pass them. Two weeks later they clinched the National League East division title two days ago on October 1st 2012. This is a big step for Washington baseball.

After baseball returned to the district in 2005, the city was alight with hope. They finally had a baseball team to root for again. It took that team seven years to live up to those expectations. With the best record in the MLB at the end of the regular season, they have exceeded those expectations.

The team has had an effect on the students of AHS as well. Seas of red can be seen in the halls, and that’s not just Annandale colors. Shirts of Nationals, players from new rookie Bryce Harper, to veteran third baseman Ryan Zimmerman, can be seen roaming the halls. Students who have supported the Nats from the beginning are ecstatic about this chance in the postseason.

“I think it’s great that they’re in the playoffs after not doing so well for the past seven years,” freshman Aaron Boyd said. The team has a chance of acquiring the one thing that each player strives for, the World Series title.

This title could change the face of D.C. sports. With the Redskins on the rise with the acquisition of new rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III, Washington sports could be on the rise. Students also seem to think this can benefit the people of Washington. “It’s good for the D.C. area people,” junior Joel Flores said. “They have something to watch now.”

Students wish the Nationals the best of luck in their postseason endeavors. “They have the best record in the MLB, and I hope they do good,” senior Omar Abdulrahim said.