Strong start with season opener

Jarod Golub
Senior Luke Lundy prepares to catch a fly ball.

The varsity baseball team has a large percentage of players with little to no varsity experience. Despite some of the players inexperience, they defeated Mount Vernon HS 10-3 and tie with Fairfax HS 3-3.

“Our pitching dominated in both games,” head baseball coach Ron Abrigo said. “We hit well too, and I’d say we won both games.”

Throughout the game the team played well and stayed focused. The second game was no different than the first aside from the players that were on the field.

“In the second game we had a freshman on the mound that gave up two runs, an error was made towards the end, but despite this, I thought we were the better team there,” Abrigo said.

During the first game every batter got on base at least once, whether it was a walk or a hit.

“We came up with a plan and we executed that plan while applying the things we work on in practice,” junior Tyler Pacak said.

Along with the hitting in their scrimmages, the teams pitchers also did well.

Collectively their strike percentage was about 65 percent.

“I think we performed really well. We had solid pitching from Stephen Schwartz and Joey Rainey,”senior Michael Hennessy said.

Despite this great start to the season the team feels as if there is still room to improve on this success.

“We looked good in these scrimmages, but we can definitely look better,” senior Nolan Gilbert said. “We’re going to practice hard, put in the time and effort, and we’re going to succeed.”

“As a team, we definitely have a lot of work to do before we get into the season and take on the Patriot District, and hopefully into the region,” Rainey said.

The team’s next games take place on March 13 and March 21.