Snow affects practices and scrimmages

Betsy Kruse
The baseball field was still partially covered in snow during school on March 7.

While the recent ‘snowquester’ may have only resulted in one missed day of school, the aftermath of the storm could cause athletes to miss several key scrimmages and practices.

Until the snow has melted and the fields have at least partially dried, the fields will not be available for use and teams will be forced to practice indoors.

“Practicing outdoors definitely has its advantages because you have the full field and all its measurements,” junior lacrosse player Kaitlin Martindale said.

Girls lacrosse had a scrimmage that was supposed to be held on Thurs. March 7, but had to be canceled and, as of now, does not look at if it will be rescheduled.

“I feel like not having a scrimmage will give us more time to work on things, like drills and plays,” Martindale said.

Baseball is currently scheduled to have a scrimmage against Falls Church HS on Sat. March 9, but is unsure what the condition of the field will be and whether or not it will be playable.

“We’ll most likely have at least one day of practicing indoors,” junior Noah Wolfenstein said. “We’re not actually on the field, so we don’t get the real feel of the game, but I think we’ll still be prepared for the scrimmage on Saturday.”

The softball team finds themselves in a similar position, as they were scheduled to play against Yorktown HS at Ossian Park tomorrow, March 8.

As space indoors is limited, teams will have shorter practices in a more confined space. As the teams are preparing for the start of the regular season, the shorter practice time could negatively team performances in the future.

“Even though we’ll have one less scrimmage, we’re going to work through it and come out a better team in the end,” Martindale said. “After all, a lot of the other teams in the county are in the same position we are.”