College application season ramps up

How is AHS helping our seniors?

It’s that time of year again: What schools are you thinking about? How are applications going? Where are you applying?

The college application season has arrived at AHS, but are students prepared for it?

“I feel that this year’s senior class is highly motivated to apply to colleges and is starting the application process earlier than previous years,” College and career counselor Brian Yeagley said.

Students are constantly in and out of the college and career center, working on essays, filling out applications, and asking questions. 

Student Services is ramping up the resources for students getting ready to apply.

“This year Annandale is trying to provide more college and career workshops, as well as guest speakers,” Yeagley said. “We have also started having the NOVA rep coming earlier this year, so that students are aware about attending NOVA first and then transferring to a four year university.”

But what do you do if you don’t know where to start?

“Cast your net wide! Apply to around 9 schools – three reach, three match, and three safety schools. A student may think they know exactly where they want to go to college, but once acceptance letters and financial aid packages start arriving their decision may change,” Yeagley said.

Seniors may be feeling overwhelmed by upcoming deadlines on top of balancing school and extracurriculars, but techniques like to-do lists, slowing it down and breaking apart tasks can be a big help in tackling the whole thing.

“It’s obviously stressful, but focusing on doing it a month before [for] Early Action helps with the stress because you get it done sooner,” senior Andre Rahman said. “College essays are probably the most difficult and annoying part but other than that it’s alright.”

The Common App essay is a big source of stress for seniors, but it’s just a hurdle you need to jump.

For juniors, they have a little more time. Juniors can start slow this year, and ramp up over the summer and the beginning of their senior years.

“Attend college rep visits and start meeting with me to think about your future goals. If you have the opportunity, start visiting colleges to see which ones you feel are a good fit,” Yeagley said.

Juniors, you have time, so use it.

Programs like the weekly college workshops and college representative visits can be helpful to stressed students who need a little more information and support.

AHS has made the specifics of the application process a little difficult to find. 

Transcript request forms are somewhat buried on the College and Career google site, with a couple hoops required to jump through before you can request.

The specifics are complicated, but there is support to be found within the school.