Good-bye half credit, hello zero

How will the new policy affect student discipline?

Grade books will be looking a little rough this year, at least until students get used to the new missing work policy.

Previously, any missing work would shove a 50% in the grade book, not too bad of a dent, right? 

Well now, FCPS has introduced a new policy that any missing work can receive 0% credit.

But how is this policy affecting our students and teachers?

“It never exactly made sense to me that someone could not do something and get half credit,” said IB Literature teacher Julia Hanneman.

Teachers are mainly in favor of this new rule, arguing that it is more fair to students who actually do their work. 100% of polled teachers said they will be implementing this grading rule.

Now for students who think this is the end of the world. It’s not. 

“I know a lot of people worry that it’s really hard to come back from zeros,” Hanneman said. “but the reality is that we are allowed to grade on trend, and work with kids individually. So if a kid is determined to improve their grade,  [zeros] are not going to stop them.”

The policy really only affects formative grades, since most summatives that are the bulk of student grades are in-class assessments that are difficult to not turn in. But still, FCPS states that the policy is in effect for any unattempted assignments or summative assessments.

This does not apply to any attempted work, so as long as you turn something in, you will get a minimum 50%.

“It does make sense that students that give a good effort but don’t meet at 50% could [be bumped up] to a 50,” said Hanneman.

Although formatives are a small portion of overall grades, the zeros can add up quickly and take a hit on your grade if you’re not careful.

“While it was nice to be able to not do an assignment that might’ve been tedious or boring and face little repercussions, the new policy is an incentive for me to stay disciplined with my work, especially towards the end of the year,” said senior Pamela Moura. 

For freshmen, this change will not feel like a big adjustment. They haven’t known anything else in their time at high school. 

Upperclassmen will have to learn how to work with the policy.

Overall, the policy is aiming to increase accountability of students completing their work, which can be appreciated. I doubt that this policy will have too much of a negative effect on the student population, maybe just some time to get used to it all.