Five uses for phones in the classroom

Entertainment or education? Phone usage in school is often discouraged, but what about the times when devices can be beneficial to student learning and engagement? 

1. EDUCATIONAL APPS

Apps like SIS and Schoology can help streamline access to grades and ease of submitting assignments when booting up a computer is a hassle. Kahoot, Spanish Dictionary, and Quizlet can all be used as study tools and resources for completing assignments. When used in the classroom, educational apps can boost student engagement and make students interested in content in a time of digital fixation. 

2. EMERGENCIES      

An obvious use for phones both in and outside school is for emergency use. Students with phones are able to notify parents or guardians of any safety or emergency concerns that may happen during the school day.  

3. DIGITAL AGE

From QR codes to website links, phone use has already been integrated into many schools. Links to digital resources like Google Forms and club meeting attendance are often given to students through QR codes or scannable links. These can only be scanned through a smartphone camera. Even at AHS, many forms for things like course requests and class voting  during W4 lessons are presented as QR codes. 

4. CREATIVITY

Project based assignments are a prime example for phone use in the classroom. Video and photo editing, camera use, and other collaborative methods are all ways for students to be creative using their phones for assignments, which also leads to interactive and engaged students.

5. CONNECTIVITY

Phones let students stay connected. If a student can easily access their student email account without having to pull out a computer, this allows them to be more responsive, attentive students for their teachers. Apps like Remind and GroupMe are also used for students to stay connected with teams and club groups.