Promenades from the past come back

As freshmen walk into their first day of high school, they already are anticipating the May night when they get to attend their senior Prom. Although Prom may seem like a tradition developed not long ago, some historians believe that the earliest Prom, dates back to the 1800s.The first Proms that were recorded in high school yearbooks, were in the 1930s and 1940s.

The idea of having a Prom first started in the high-class colleges in the Northeast. Others began to follow suite because they admired the dignity that rich debutante balls held. The purpose of these Proms were for parents to help teach their children proper etiquette and socials skills at a public event. Parents and other adults chaperoned the event. They were also strictly only for the senior class.

Although Proms started earlier, they only became a sophisticated, pricey affair in the 1950s. In this time period, social status became truly important. For students to increase their standing in society, it benefited to have a good-looking date. If you were named part of the Prom court, you were instantly part of the social hierarchy.

In the 1950s the location of high school Proms often changed, too. Students thought the gym was for lower classman dances, sxxo the senior Prom was moved to a larger and more luxurious location.

This time period was also the start of girls wanting to find the perfect dress. Many girls would designate certain days where they would just shop for the perfect dress. The dresses worn during the 1950s were extremely extravagant. Teenage girls tended to desire dresses with more sequins, lace and rhinestones. They desired to look glamorous, yet still classy. The body of the dress was usually very fitted and then came down into a large, flowing skirt. To achieve the perfect amount of poof in the skirt, many teens added petticoats under their dress.

Boys began to wear tuxedos during the 1950s. Corsages and boutonnieres became popular in this time period as well.

Detail was very important in the 1950s. Shoes and handbags were the same color, so was the nail polish and lipstick worn. Many girls wore gloves and pearls to add a touch of sophistication and class.

Music was also very different in the early years of Prom. Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, and Billie Holiday were popular musicians in the 1950s.

Even though Prom has developed greatly throughout the years, it all started back with poodle skirts and fuzzy dice.